The popularity and growth of smartphone users across the world is a global phenomenon. Along with that increasing demand of applications that load faster on mobile phones is making manufacturers and OS makers coming up with new techniques that ensure rapid expansion of mobile users and mobile phones.
With such a vast user base of over 3 billion devices and over 2 billion users, there are only few mobile application development techniques that developers use mainly are:
- Native Apps
- Progressive Web App (PWA’s)
A business needs to have user traffic and easy to load application to be able to sell their products and services. Most apps and mobile-websites these days do not match these parameters. They either lack coding technology that loads faster or give frequent updates to be latest. A user is stuck between a rock and a hard place whether to update the app or go on the website to make an order. But, PWA and AMPs are striving to bridge this gap.
A million-dollar question is which is the best option to develop your mobile application, Native Application Development or Progressive Web Application (PWA)?
Progressive Web Apps:
A Progressive web application behaves like a mobile application which can be added to the main screen of the smartphone, can send push notifications, access the hardware of the device and work offline. As a regular website, PWAs are available through URLS and can indexed in search engines.
The PWAs have unique features like they don’t require a special gadget or any software and continue working without any internet interrupting i.e. offline.
|Better loading experience||Limited native hardware support|
|No Multiple apps||No entry in app stores for promotions|
|Seamless inter-app experience||Not supported by all browsers|
|Relatively cheaper||Can’t work beyond web capabilities|
|No app installs No app store||No usage pattern record|
|Unified customer experience|
|less resource requirement|
Business Benefits of PWAs:
- No app store management
- Don’t require App update on Store
- No issues with App search /save direct from web page
- Minimal maintenance
- Single code base
- PWAs offer a browser-based program with the benefits of an app
- Suite to Startups- less investment compared to native with Web portal
- Important for website’s traffic and reach
Native applications are specifically written and developed for a specific mobile operating system. The mainstays of the Mobile Application Development are iOS and Android.
To create true, native applications, the Java programming language must be used for Android, the Objective C programming language for iOS, and the .NET framework for Windows Phone. The key characteristics of native applications are that these applications have unhindered access to device hardware and support all user interface and interactions available in the respective mobile operating environment.
|Impressive Performance||Maintain separate codebase|
|Ease of availability||Take more time in development comparatively|
|Access to All Hardware||App update management|
|Access to all developer APIs||Lengthy App store installation|
When to choose Native App
- Your user base has iOS, because many features of PWA are not enabled in iOS right now
- Smoother performance
- Your app has complex control and many features
- Your application need to access some hardware support which is not available
- Main thing you have big budget
- Launching app in market is not critical
When to choose PWA
- Your main user base has android.
- You do not want headache of distribution of app and indexing
- App have simple functionality
- You have small budget
- Need launching in fleeting time
Why You Should Choose Progressive Web Apps, Use Cases
- Twitter Lite analyzed:
- 65% increase in pages per session
- 75% significant growth in tweets
- Upto 70% decrease in bounce rate
- Loads in under 3 seconds for repeat visits even on slow network
- Forbes redesigned their mobile experience as a PWA and found:
- 43% increase in sessions per user
- add viewability up 20%
- 100% more engagement
- Alibaba increased conversions on the mobile web by 76%, with 14% more monthly active users on iOS and 30% more on Android.
- AliExpress is a front face of mobile commerce, and reported 104% increase in conversion rates for new users gained with their Progressive Web App compared to their traditional website and mobile app, things are looking quite well for the Chinese company.
Progressive Web Applications are at a kind of hybrid app development technique that is a stage between a website and a native app. As Google continues to try and push PWAs deeper into Android App Development world, it guarantees that PWAs will be in hot demand along with PWAs obvious advantages over websites.
While PWAs will be more widespread in the years to come, native apps still have a vital role to play in the Enterprise Mobility domain. We also don’t think the evolution of native apps will slow down anytime soon. Therefore, it will be interesting to see where we find mobile application development industry going in the years to come.
If you have any question or query for either PWAs or Application Development project you have on mind, then don’t hesitate to Contact Us.