What is Native App?
The definition of native application is, “an application that is developed for the use on a particular mobile device or application development platform.” Donc, native apps are written for a specific device operating platform to fully exploit all the features and coding of the platform’s language.
Usually, most native Android applications are written in either Java or Kotlin using Android SDK. Android uses Android Studio for native application development along with these two Software Development Kits.
All native iOS applications are written in Objective C/Swift using iOS SDK. And iOS uses XCode for native application development.
What is Hybrid App?
The definition of hybrid application is, “an application that uses common code to utilize all the common features of various mobile device operating system platforms.” Alors, hybrid apps are written for a pan-device platform to utilize common features of app development platforms.
When to choose Native app
Native application development is the easiest choice for most app developers. As it is easy for them to develop and they can fully utilize all the platform features. Ideally, when you want to take full advantage of hardware, performance, User Experience and in-built features for a large user base to update quickly and frequently, you use native app development.
- Developer augments code with native SDK
- Rich User experience – full potential of the platform can be leveraged which will drive great user experience
- Higher Security
- Have native API access easily like Sensors, Camera, Push Notification
- If you are targeting to develop app in multiple platform, you need to rewrite native code for multiple platforms
- Take times to develop application compared to Hybrid app
- If app is developed in multiple platform with specific platform, Development cost will be higher
- Require specific knowledge for each platform
When to choose Hybrid app
Hybrid apps are now on the rise thanks to simplifying their coding languages and easy integration with devices and web view. You use hybrid app development when you have budget constraints, do not want a lot of features in your app or you have large content driven app.
- Can be easily deployed across multiple platform (Android, iOS, Windows)
- Hybrid app developer can develop same application using single codebase for multiple platform, it will have lesser cost compared to Native app development
- If you are targeting to capture market as earliest, you should choose hybrid app development
- If you developed app in Android and iOS only and now you want to developed in Windows platform, it can be easily scalable for newer platform
- Performance is the biggest disadvantage while developing apps in hybrid because application renders in WebView
- It has limited access to hardware resources like sensors, customizing camera. For customization plugins, hybrid developer needs to rely on native developer for each platform.
- After fixing a bug, required to test feature in all platforms as it may impact on another platform.
- Sometime building Hybrid app costs equivalent to Native apps when you are trying to build components like native app.
- UX of Android and iOS will be same, so loyal users might not get pleased. It’s hard to customize the hybrid app based on the platform and it will effect on cost.
Comparison between a Native and Hybrid Apps
You can’t compare apples with oranges. Both these app development techniques have their unique advantages and disadvantages over each other. Here is a small comparison between them.
|Development Languages||Native (Java/Kotlin, Swift/Objective C)||HTML5, CSS3, JS|
|Device Access (Camera,Notifications, Locations, Offline Storage)||Full Access||Full Access|
|Portability||None(require each platform knowledge)||High|
|Offline use / local data storage||Full Access||Medium Access|
|Access to Native Features||High||Moderate|
|Updates & Maintenance||Moderate||Easy|
Conclusion: Choosing between Native or Hybrid App development
Choosing between developing a native and a hybrid app is difficult. AS both have distinct advantages over each other and we are spoilt for choices between various options. We believe that you must consult an experienced App development company to fully understand and analyze your app development requirement.
If you have an app development project in mind, then connect with us on email@example.com to get a free analysis and quote for your application.