KNOWARTH Technologies, a leading provider of Liferay Portal Development and Liferay Consulting Services, is proud to announce that we have created a 2FA component called “SecureLogin” which is useful for easy and secure login on Liferay platform with your mobile device. With an increasing demand for Liferay Consulting Services, most enterprises are demanding single Sign On and 2FA as mainstays with their portal development.
Accessing any system with just single Password is an old way today. Single password authentication is not strong enough and hackers can steal passwords with ease. One workaround is to create and remember complex passwords but then it’s not a clever idea and users are averse to using it from their devices. This is the reason Two Factor Authentication (2FA) is becoming a necessity for global device and enterprise users.
Learn more: Digital Experience Platforms
This puts Liferay developers in a spot as currently, Liferay DXP does not have a 2FA (Two Factor Authentication) mechanism. We at KNOWARTH have fixed this issue. Our experienced Liferay developers and Liferay consultants along with our Mobile app developers have come up with a solution to allow secure login with 2FA mechanism. The plugin is called “SecureLogin” and developers can install and configure it on their mobile phones to use it.
These are the fundamentals for the plugin:
- Problem: – Out of the box, Liferay doesn’t provide 2FA (Two Factor Authentication) mechanism.
- Pre-Requisite: – We have developed mobile app to securely login with 2FA mechanism into Liferay. You need to install and configure mobile app.
- Solution: – This component is not an option of existing login mechanism of Liferay platform. Instead we have used Liferay auto login feature to implement 2FA and make existing login mechanism more secure and ease of use.
How does it work?
Smartphone becomes unique identification for any individual today. We have developed mobile App (for Android and IOS) to securely login on Liferay.
User need to first install the mobile app, register that app (by just scanning QR code) with Liferay and you are ready to login. Your mobile app (which is uniquely installed on your mobile device) would work as a second authentication factor while login.
Below are the steps to configure secure login with 2FA on Liferay platform.
- Copy the modules Jars file in deploy folder of Tomcat Application Server Download Jars.
- Download the .apk file from this link and install on your android mobile.
- Download App Set the secure user pin on your mobile app.
- Create following public pages in your liferay portal.
Device Registration – Place Device Registration Portlet on this page.
Secure User Login – Place Secure Login Portlet on this page.
- You need to first provide Liferay credential. Next screen shows a QR code. You can register your mobile app by scanning this QR code. It basically stores following 3 things in your app:
- Email Address (You can’t modify).
- Registration Key (You can see last few characters of it).
- Host of your Liferay server (In your Mobile App, you can update the host in case if it’s required).
- Once registration is done, you can use your mobile app to securely login. To make sure 2FA is implemented, system will first ask for credentials. You need to give your Liferay credentials.
- Next screen shows QR code (for login) which you need to scan through your mobile app. Once validated, Liferay is automatically logged in and you no need to press any key or button on screen.
This way, only you who has registered mobile app securely can login and Liferay credentials alone is not enough to login into system.
Read more: Mobile App Development
Samir Bhatt, Director and co-founder was exited with the publishing of this plugin, “Our Liferay developers along with our app development team are working on solving multiple issues for many enterprise clients across the globe. This plugin is the right solution that will solve the problem developers face with 2FA login. We are really proud of this achievement and hoping to see them come up with many such solutions in the near future to contribute towards growing Liferay community and Liferay Portal Development technology.”
The plugin has been developed by our Liferay Experts Nilang Patel, Rajan Bhatt, Darshan Gandhi with our Mobile experts Nishant Shah, Rohit Parmar, Pritesh Rayani. We wish to congratulate them on getting this plugin published in the Liferay marketplace and hope to continue seeing them with latest development like these.
You can download the plugin directly from here.